Foreign national researchers coming to the NIH are found in a variety of visa types or classifications. The Visa Classifications Chart summarizes non-immigrant visa classifications by title, description, and employment eligibility (updated 06/2006).
Information on the most common visa classifications found at the NIH is below. Click on a specific visa classification to learn more about it.
- J-1 Exchange Visitor (NIH-sponsored) [scroll down to the FAQ entitled, "J-1 Exchange Visitor"]
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Welcome Brochure
- J-1 Alien Physician (ECFMG-sponsored)
- H-1B Temporary Worker [scroll down to the FAQ entitled, "H-1B Temporary Worker"]
- E-3 Temporary Worker
- O-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability [scroll down to the DIS Technical Advisory 20]
- TN (Trade NAFTA)
- B-1 (Visitor for Business)/ WB (Visitor for Business – Visa Waiver Program) [scroll down to the DIS Technical Advisory 5]
- F-1 Practical Training
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Holders
(including J-2 Dependents)
Visit the following for additional information.